Thursday 15 April 2010

When They Leave [bitter-sweet pill of parenthood]

In trying to get into the routine of regularly posting blogs, I'd start of by posting a poem everyday until I have exhausted all my decent (reader-friendly) poems.

The poem for today is 'When They Leave'

Now the story, or better yet, inspiration behind this poem is about children growing up and leaving home and I think I wrote this with Simon and Garfunkel's 'Cats In A Cradle' playing in the background.  Every parent wants their kids to grow up and stand on their on two feet but in the back of their minds they also miss the days when the sounds of little children was all they lived for.

Enjoy...


When They Leave

I walked into my study,

greeted by a desolate pack of chairs.

They stand where they stood-

the day before, and the days before.

No carefree spirits to push them around,

no reckless zeal to pinch out their foam,

nor wobble their frames.


I miss the yells and screams,

the youthful arguments with will and no wit.

The toddler’s high pitch, deafening my ears.
The adolescents rebellious grumble at a task.
I miss my boys, where are my girls?

I now rush to the front door

at every sound of its bell.

Hoping it’ll be one of my own.

It was only a few years ago,

I remember whispering to them “Papa has to go now”

And now in a replica of my tone they whisper to me-

”Papa, I have to go now”

I can only wish for Christmas to come sooner
So they shall return like pilgrims.
My own flock, my own children.


Adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment