Saturday 17 April 2010

'20 burgers! how can 20 burgers be gone so quickly?'

Another day, another poem...but first...
 My activities today have been very very physical, I had some American Football practise, which was a lot of fun especially as I scored the last touchdown in pass-ball... It really felt good  even though the end-zone happened to be the 6-yard box on an astro-turf football (soccer) field, nevertheless I did my end-zone dance... With the sun shining brightly down on my beloved Bradford city, I couldn't have wished for a better day, uhmm... maybe I could but you know what I mean. The Red Devils once again showed their Blue brothers who is top-dog in the city of Manchester with a vintage performance from a football genius, Paul Scholes; and if that wasn't enough to make my day, in-form Tottenham sent a strong message to rest of the league as they press on for that much-sought-after fourth spot in the Premier League.  I bet the rest of London will take the Lillywhites very serious now especially as Gareth Bale is in the form of his life.  It is very pleasing, especially in Bradford University UBar, to see how many Manchester United haters get silenced when they win, grunts here and there, bad-mouthing of officials and what not... Oh the beautiful sound of silence...
A very good friend of mine, a Chelsea fan I should mention, was having a birthday bbq, he was taking advantage of the weather I guess; he had invited some friends of his who weren't familiar with our circle of friends.  Now before I go on, I will give you a quick history of my circle of friends when it comes to food, gatherings and eating.  We are unstoppable, we once ordered 10 12-inch pizzas of different toppings to be shared amongst six of us, all of the pizzas (crust included) were gone in just over 3 minutes 11 seconds.  Back to the bbq, apparently he had bought 20 burgers hoping that there will be plenty to go round and some to spare (the naive assumption of one of his friends).  When we arrived, we slowly made ourselves feel at home, scanning the area for the buns, cheese, burgers and salad dressings, slowly and steadily we got closer to the bbq stand and even helped out with the flipping. Unknown to the 'other' guests we issued ourselves with our rations and armed with two burgers to one soldier we munched away, one of his friends later came outside hoping to have some burger only to find an empty stand, with coal still burning away... In a defeated tone all he could utter was '20 burgers! how can 20 burgers be gone so quickly?'.  In the words of Bugs Bunny 'he don't know us very well, do he?' That has probably got to be the highlight of my day! Indeed!

                   where did they all go?


Well, the poem for today is... 
 The Negro Man

His voice, his tone, no different from theirs,
His thoughts, his logic just like theirs.
He reasons with wisdom and speaks with wit,
He has his policies and his rules are strict.
He knows good from bad, friend from foe.
His tears are shed from joy and woe.
His knuckles are bruised from labours of the land,
His knees grazed from bending over in sand.
He knows love and knows hate
He takes pain as part of life’s fate.

He is the Negro man.
Only of recent was he confirmed ‘a man’.
When the lights go off, can you pick him out?
We are all the same when the lights go out.

Adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment